Landfill Collapse in Cebu Kills One, Leaves Dozens Missing

1 min read
Landfill Collapse in Cebu Kills One, Leaves Dozens Missing

A landfill collapse in the central Philippines has killed one person and left at least 27 others missing, after a massive mound of garbage buried workers at a waste segregation facility in Cebu City. The incident has triggered an urgent search and rescue operation as authorities race against time to locate those still trapped beneath the debris. Landfill Collapse in Cebu Kills One, Leaves Dozens Missing

The collapse occurred on Friday in the village of Binaliw, where an avalanche of rubbish and debris swept through part of the landfill site. Police said the victims included workers at the facility, though it remains unclear whether members of the surrounding community were also affected. Rescue teams managed to pull several people from the wreckage in the initial hours following the collapse.

Regional police director Brigadier General Roderick Maranan confirmed that eight people were retrieved alive, though one female worker later died while being transported to hospital. Seven others survived with injuries and are receiving medical care. Search operations continued overnight as responders worked carefully through unstable piles of waste.

Cebu City officials reported differing figures on the number of missing and rescued, reflecting the fluid and chaotic nature of the situation. Nestor Archival said at least 12 people had been rescued and up to 38 remained unaccounted for, noting that verification was ongoing as rescue efforts progressed.

“All response teams remain fully engaged in search and retrieval efforts, with strict adherence to safety protocols,” Archival said in a public statement. He added that the city government was committed to transparency, accountability, and compassionate support for affected families as operations continued.

At the site, dozens of rescuers worked through the night, combing through collapsed structures and heaps of garbage. One of the buildings hit by the landslide was a low-lying warehouse used for sorting recyclable materials, raising concerns that workers inside had little chance to escape when the debris came down.

Authorities said the waste management facility employs around 110 people and that an emergency meeting was scheduled to assess the situation and determine next steps. Investigators are expected to examine what caused the collapse, including possible safety lapses or environmental factors.

The tragedy has renewed concerns about landfill safety and waste management practices in urban areas of the Philippines. As rescue teams continue their search, families of the missing remain anxiously waiting for updates, hoping for news amid the uncertainty surrounding one of Cebu City’s deadliest industrial accidents in recent years.

Nyongesa Sande

Nyongesa Sande

Nyongesa Sande is a seasoned writer, editor, and digital publisher passionate about delivering high-quality, SEO-optimized content across diverse fields including politics, technology, culture, business, and sports. As the founder and driving force behind NyongesaSande.com, he has built a trusted platform that blends in-depth reporting with accessible storytelling, making complex issues understandable to a broad audience. With a strong background in East African and global affairs, Sande is dedicated to providing readers with accurate, engaging, and impactful insights that both inform and inspire.

The Fox Theme